Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pharmacy Party



Last Wednesday we had a potluck at work. We were celebrating becuase two of the techs had August birthdays, and myself and another tech had just arrived. My lead petty officer, HM2 Cavero, is Philipino. I've had plenty of Philipino food at potlucks at Bethesda, but it was no comparison to the food HM2 Cavero brought in. Wow! Pancit and fried rice and these little sandwiches that were out of this world. She takes roasted chicken, shreds it and seasons it with Hoisin sauce, then wraps it in hommade sweet dough and steams it. It was so soft and delicious! I hope we have lots of potlucks.
Later that afternoon we had a command awards ceremony. I was presented with the Navy Achievement Medal, which had been forwarded from Bethesda. This was a big honor and I was very proud to recieve it. Most officers who do a good job will get an end of tour award, and usually it is a Navy Commendation Medal, which is a bit lower of the totem pole than the NAM that I got. So, I was very pleased that my superiors thought highly of the efforts I put in at Bethesda and rewarded me for them.
I'm starting to feel more comfortable in my uniform. Lieutenant is a relatively high rank in the Navy. Most people come in an Ensigns, then are promoted Lieutenant Junior Grades, then promoted to Lieutenant. Generally, LTs have at least 4 years of service. I came right in as an LT. Hence, I only had one measly little ribbon- the National Defense Medal, which everyone gets. My most junior techs were more decorated than me! After 60 days at Bethesda, I got to put on the Global War on Terror ribbon, since Bethesda provides medical support to the operations in Iraq/Afghanistan. That was all I had for 2 years. You get to feeling a bit wimpy when all you have are two ribbons. Thankfully, the command was awarded a Meritorious Unit Commendation Medal this past summer, for successfully passing our accreditation inspection. So, I got to show up with a FULL BAR of ribbons when I got to Sigonella. (see above) Now, I get to buy my fourth ribbon- which goes in a whole new row! And after 12 months on board at Sig, I get the Overseas Service Ribbon- I'll have 5!!

No comments: